Augusta School Department
POLICY COMMITTEE MEETING
August 6, 2018
Committee Members Present: Staci Fortunato-Chair, Christopher Clarke, Pia Holmes
Other Board Members Present: None
Administrators Present: James Anastasio, Donna Madore, Kathy Casparius, Troy Alexander, Teresa Beaudoin, Sarah Landry, Jan Rollins, Shelby Thibodeau, Theresa Violette
Others Present: Members of the community
1. Discussion of religious observances
Federal holidays in the United States
Maine State Government Holidays
Public Holidays in Maine
Lewiston Public Schools policy IMDC – Recognition of Religious Beliefs and Customs
Augusta School Department policy JEA: Compulsory Attendance
The committee heard from 7 community members who support the creation of a policy on accommodating religious holidays. The committee deliberated and agreed that a policy should be written and sent to the board for review. A list of religious holidays will be disseminated to employees.
Motion by Christopher Clarke to table this item until the next committee meeting. Second by Pia Holmes, so moved 3-0.
Motion by Christopher Clarke to table items 2 through 6. Second by Pia Holmes, so moved 3-0.
Meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m.
2. Review new policy DJH: Purchasing and Contracting: Procurement Staff Code of Conduct.
New Policy DJH
Existing Policy DJH
3. Review existing policy ACAD: Hazing and existing policy JICFA: Student Hazing.
Existing Policy ACAD
Existing Policy JICFA
4. Review new policy JLIB: Student Dismissal Precautions.
New Policy JLIB
5. Review new policy JLIE: Student Automobile Use and Parking and existing policy JHFD:
Student Automobile Use.
New Policy JLIE
Existing Policy JHFD
6. Review new policy JO: Employment of Students
New Policy JO