Augusta School Department
POLICY COMMITTEE MEETING
November 4, 2019
Committee Members Present: Staci Fortunato-Chair; Pia Holmes
Committee Member Absent: Kati McCormick
Other Board Members Present: Christopher Clarke, Jennifer Dumond, Edward Hastings, Kevin Lamoreau, Michael Michaud, Amanda Olson
Administrators Present: Donna Madore, Kathy Casparius, Troy Alexander, Sarah Landry, Kim Silsby
1. Review existing policy GCBDD: Professional Staff Leave for Bereavement.
Existing policy GCBDD
Contract language – Bereavement Leave
The committee reviewed revised policy GCBDD. Motion by Pia Holmes to move policy GCBDD, as revised, to the board for a first reading, second by Staci Fortunato, so moved 2-0.
2. Review existing policy GCBDF: Professional Staff Military Leave.
Existing policy GCBDF
Contract language – Military Leave
The committee reviewed revised policy GCBDF. Motion by Pia Holmes to move policy GCBDF, as revised, to the board for a first reading, second by Staci Fortunato, so moved 2-0.
3. Review existing policy GCN-1/AFC-1: Evaluation of Professional Staff – Teachers.
Existing policy GCN-1/AFC-1
Existing policy GCOA
The committee discussed policy GCN-1/AFC-1. Ms. Madore made a recommendation to delete. The policy is dated, does not match current law and is covered under policy GCOA. Motion by Pia Holmes to delete policy GCN-1/AFC-2, second by Staci Fortunato, so moved 2-0.
4. Review existing policy GCN-2/AFC-2: Evaluation of Professional Staff – Administrators.
Existing Policy GCN-2/AFC-2
Existing policy GCOC
The committee discussed policy GCN-2/AFC-2. Ms. Madore made a recommendation to delete. The policy is dated, does not match current law and is covered under policy GCOC. Motion by Pia Holmes to delete policy GCN-2/AFC-2, second by Staci Fortunato, so moved 2-0.
5. Review existing policy GCPB/GDPB: Resignation of School Unit Employees.
Existing policy GCPB/GDPB
The committee discussed policy GCPB/GDPB and made revisions. Motion by Pia Holmes to move policy GCPB/GDPB, with revisions, to the board for a first reading, second by Stacy Fortunato, so moved, 2-0.
6. Review existing policy GDA: Support Staff Positions (Job Descriptions).
Existing policy GDA
The committee reviewed policy GDA and decided to keep it as written.
7. Review existing policy GDB: Support Staff Contracts and Compensation Plans.
Existing policy GDB
The committee reviewed policy GDB. Ms. Madore said items in the policy are negotiated and covered under union contracts. The committee discussed having a policy for non-represented employees. Ms. Madore will draft a policy and bring it to the next committee meeting for review. Motion by Pia Holmes to table policy GDB, second by Staci Fortunato, so moved 2-0.
8. Review existing policy GDBA: Support Staff Salary Schedules.
Existing policy GDBA
The committee reviewed policy GDBA and made revisions. Motion by Pia Holmes to move policy GDBA, with revisions, to the board for a first reading, so moved 2-0.
Motion by Pia Holmes to table items 9 through 12, second by Staci Fortunato, so moved 2-0.
A question was brought forward regarding live streaming Cony High School sports. Members of the board received phone calls and other communications from the public inquiring about what specific policy was referenced to deny live broadcasting of Cony athletics. Kim Silsby, Principal of Cony High School, shared that she and the Athletic Director, Jon Millett, had been in communication with the superintendent of schools regarding this matter. They are currently researching the implications and answers to questions around profit, gender equity and student privacy. They will bring their findings and recommendations to the next Policy Committee.
The meeting adjourned at 7:36 p.m.
9. Review existing policy GDBB: Support Staff Supplementary Plans
Existing policy GDBB
10. Review existing policy GDBC: Support Staff Fringe Benefits.
Existing policy GDBC
11. Review existing policy GDBD: Support Staff Leaves and Absences.
Existing policy GDBD
12. Review existing policy ACAD: Hazing and new policy ACAD: Hazing.
Existing policy ACAD
New policy ACAD