Augusta School Department
POLICY COMMITTEE MEETING
October 7, 2019
6:00 - 7:30 p.m.
Committee Members Present: Staci Fortunato-Chair; Pia Holmes, Kati McCormick
Other Board Members Present: Jennifer Dumond, Edward Hastings, Kevin Lamoreau, Amanda Olson
Administrators Present: James Anastasio, Donna Madore, Kathy Casparius, Troy Alexander, Teresa Beaudoin, Sarah Landry
1. Review policy GCB: Professional Staff Contracts and Compensation Plans
2. Review policy GCBA: Professional Staff Salary Schedules Stipend Positions
3. Review policy GCBB: Professional Staff Supplementary Pay Plans
4. Review policy GCBC: Professional Staff Fringe Benefits
5. Review policy GCBD: Professional Staff Leaves and Absences
The committee reviewed revised policies GCB, GCBA, GCBB, GCBC and GCBD. There was discussion on the language in GCB and GCBD. Mr. Hastings suggested leaving the language as originally revised. Motion by Kati McCormick to approve all the revisions to the policies and send to the board for a first reading. Second by Pia Holmes, so moved 3-0.
6. Review new policy BIA: New School Board Member Orientation
New policy BIA
Existing policy BIA
Existing policy BIA-1
Motion by Pia Holmes to send new policy BIA, with the added references, to the board for a first reading, second by Kati McCormick, so moved 3-0.
Motion by Staci Fortunato to delete policy BIA-1 because BIC-E already exists, second by Kati McCormick, so moved 3-0.
7. Review existing policy GCBDD: Professional Staff Leave for Bereavement.
Existing policy GCBDD
Contract language – Bereavement Leave
The committee discussed policy GCBDD and the contract language. There was a question about bereavement leave being taken from sick leave time from employees not covered by a contract. The definition of “immediate family” in the policy is different than the contract language. The recommendation is to make the policy reflect the contract language. Ms. Madore will draft the policy to match the language in the contract and bring back to the committee for review.
8. Review existing policy GCBDE: Professional Staff Leave for Jury Duty.
Existing policy GCBDE
Contract language – Jury Duty Leave
The committee discussed policy GCBDE. The contract language differs from the policy. Motion by Kati McCormick to revise the policy and make the language mirror the contract language and move to the board for a first reading, second by Pia Holmes, so moved 3-0. Ms. Madore will research legal reference.
9. Review existing policy GCBDF: Professional Staff Military Leave.
Existing policy GCBDF
Contract language – Military Leave
The contract language is different from the policy. Ms. Madore will draft the policy to better match the contract language and bring back to the committee for review. Motion by Pia Holmes to table policy GCBDF, second by Kati McCormick, so moved 3-0.
10. Review existing policy GCKA: Professional Staff Extra Duty.
Existing policy GCKA
Contract Language – Staff Extra Duty
The committee discussed policy GCKA. Motion by Pia Holmes to amend policy GCKA to delete the last paragraph, second by Staci Fortunato, so moved 3-0.
Motion by Pia Holmes to move policy GCKA, as amended, to the board for a first reading, second by Staci Fortunato, so moved 3-0.
11. Review existing policy GCKB: Professional Staff Meetings.
Existing policy GCKB
Contract language – Teacher Meetings
Policy GCKB was reviewed and discussed. Motion by Pia Holmes to keep policy GCKB as written, second by Kati McCormick, so moved 3-0.
12. Review existing policy GCM: Supervision of Professional Staff.
Existing policy GCM
The committee discussed policy GCM and made revisions. Motion by Pia Holmes to move policy GCM, with revisions, to the board for a first reading, second by Kati McCormick, so moved 3-0. Ms. Madore will check the legal reference.
The meeting adjourned at 7:28 p.m.