Augusta School Department
POLICY COMMITTEE MEETING
February 12, 2020
Committee Members Present: Staci Fortunato-Chair; Kati McCormick, Amanda Olson
Other Board Members Present: Christopher Clarke, Edward Hastings, Pia Holmes, Kevin Lamoreau
Administrators Present: James Anastasio, Donna Madore, Troy Alexander, Nicholas Gannon, Heather Gauthier, Sarah Landry, Jon Millett, Jan Rollins, Monique Roy, Kim Silsby, Theresa Violette
Motion by Kati McCormick to nominate Staci Fortunato as chair of the Policy Committee, second by Amanda Olson, so moved 3-0.
1. Review policy GBCA: Staff Conflicts of Interest and BCC: Nepotism
The committee discussed policy GBCA. There was a recommendation to remove the two paragraphs under “employment”. Motion by Kati McCormick to move policy GBCA with revisions to the board for a first reading. Second by Amanda Olson, so moved 3-0.
The committee discussed revisions to policy BCC and chose the wording under option 2. Motion by Staci Fortunato to move policy BCC with revisions to the board for a first reading, second by Kati McCormick, so moved 3-0.
2. Review policy KHD: Broadcast Policy
KHD: Broadcast Policy
KHD-E: Media Rights Application and Agreement
KHD-R: Broadcast Policy - Administrative Procedures
The committee reviewed the revised policy. They recommended administrators get input from media partners to understand their perspective and also review Maine Principals’ Association’s media policy. Ms. Silsby said she reached out to CTV7 who broadcast some of our games and they were supportive of the policy. She said she does not know who else to reach out to who would be neutral and asked the committee members for suggestions. Members of the committee mentioned getting the agenda on “short” notice and Mr. Anastasio explained that there was no school on Friday due to the snow storm and there was an internet issue throughout New England that made it impossible for us to post the agenda Friday. Motion by Amanda Olson to table the policy until the next meeting in March, second by Kati McCormick, so moved 3-0.
3. Review new policy IHD-R: Adult/Community Education Diploma Requirement and
Ms. Madore explained that we have policy IHD: Adult/Community Education but felt there was a need for policy IHD-R to outline the requirements and regulations. Monique Roy, Adult Education Director, said the State has crafted their own policy with requirements that fit better for Adult Learners and this policy reflects that. The committee would like to review policy IHD at the next meeting. Motion by Amanda Olson to move policy IHD-R to the board for a first reading, second by Staci Fortunato, so moved 3-0.
4. Review policy BEDH: Public Participation at Board Meetings
The committee discussed MSMA’s recommended changes to policy BEDH. Revisions were made by committee members. They would like to review policy BDE-R: Standing Committee Operating Procedures at its next meeting due to changes made to policy BEDH. Motion by Kati McCormick to move new policy BEDH, with revisions, to the board for a first reading, second by Staci Fortunato, so moved 3-0.
5. Review existing policy GDB: Support Staff Contracts and Compensation Plans
Existing policy GDB
Draft policy GDB
At the last policy committee meeting, Ms. Madore was asked to bring a draft revised GDB policy that covers non-represented staff. In discussing the draft policy there were questions pertaining to insurance language. Motion by Staci Fortunato to table the draft policy pending further insurance clarification, second by Amanda Olson, so moved 3-0.
The meeting adjourned at 6:25 p.m.
6. Review existing policy GDBB: Support Staff Supplementary Plans
7. Review existing policy GDBC: Support Staff Fringe Benefits
8. Review existing policy GDBD: Support Staff Leaves and Absences
9. Review existing policy ACAD: Hazing and new policy ACAD: Hazing
Existing policy ACAD
New policy ACAD
10. Review existing policy GDBDA: Support Staff Sick Leave
11. Review existing policy GDBDC: Support Staff Personal Leave
12. Review existing policy GDBE: Staff Vacations and Holidays
13. Review existing policy GDJ: Support Staff Time Schedules
14. Review existing policy GDPC: Retirement Benefits for Central Office Staff