Augusta School Department
POLICY COMMITTEE MEETING
March 11, 2020
Committee Members Present: Kati McCormick, Amanda Olson
Committee Member Absent: Staci Fortunato
Other Board Members Present: Jennifer Dumond, Edward Hastings, Pia Holmes, Kevin Lamoreau
Administrators Present: James Anastasio, Donna Madore, Kathy Casparius, Teresa Beaudoin, Nicholas Gannon, Sarah Landry, Jon Millett, Monique Roy, Kim Silsby, Shelby Thibodeau, Theresa Violette, Susan Walters
1. Review policy KHD: Broadcast Policy
KHD: Broadcast Policy
KHD-E: Media Rights Application and Agreement
KHD-R: Broadcast Policy - Administrative Procedures
MPA Media Request Form
MPA Radio Broadcast Agreement
MPA TV Broadcast Agreement
Kim Silsby, Cony Middle/High School Principal explained the changes made to these policies. Jon Millett, Athletic Director, said the changes to the policies were a collaborative effort and and input received from many people. Motion by Kati McCormick to send policies KHD, KHD-E and KHD-R to the board for a first reading, second by Amanda Olson, so moved 2-0.
2. Review policy IHD: Adult/Community Education.
Existing policy IHD: Adult/Community Education
MSMA sample policy IHD: Adult/Community Education
Gardiner policy IHD: Adult/Community Education
Portland policy IHD: Adult Education Programs
Scarborough policy IGEB: Adult Education
Bangor policy IGEB: Adult High School Diploma Program
The committee discussed policy IHD. Ms. Madore said the only recommended change to Augusta’s IHD is to delete the last sentence in the first paragraph. Motion by Amanda Olson to move policy IHD to the board for a first reading, second by Kati McCormick, so moved 2-0.
3. Review existing policy GDB: Support Staff Contracts and Compensation Plans
Existing policy GDB
Draft policy GDB
Ms. Madore said some areas of policy GDB needed to be reviewed and changes were made. Motion by Amanda Olson to move policy GDB, with revisions to remove the word “single” prior to health insurance coverage by the school board to the board, for a first reading, second by Kati McCormick, so moved 2-0.
4. Review policy BDE-R: Standing Committee Operating Procedures
The committee reviewed policy BDE-R. Motion by Amanda Olson to move policy BDE-R with the proposed amendment under item “E” to the board for a first reading, second by Kati McCormick, so moved 2-0.
5. Review policies KF: Community Use of School Facilities, KF-R: Community Use of School
Facilities – Administrative Procedure, KF-E1: Agreement for Use of School Facilities, KF-
E2: Community Use of School Facilities – Fees.
Ms. Madore said committee member McCormick requested these policies be added to the agenda. Ms. McCormick said she wanted the policies discussed to see if members wanted to make any amendments. Committee member Olson asked administrators if the current policy adequately supports them in their role. A discussion followed and the committee decided to keep the policies as is.
6. Review existing policy GDBB: Support Staff Supplementary Plans
The committee discussed policy GDBB and felt it needs to be reviewed further, i.e. who can approve overtime, and whether it is in compliance with FLSA laws. Motion by Kati McCormick to table the policy, second by Amanda Olson, so moved 2-0.
7. Review existing policy GDBC: Support Staff Fringe Benefits
The committee discussed the policy. Support staff fringe benefits are negotiated and covered under the contract and Ms. Madore felt the policy could be deleted. Committee members want to keep the policy and have it updated. There was a question whether contracts supersede policy. The committee decided to table the policy for further review. Motion by Kati McCormick to table policies GDBC, GDBD, GDBDA, GDBDC, GDBE, and GDJ, second by Amanda Olson, so moved 2-0.
Motion by Kati McCormick to table policies ACAD and GDPC, second by Amanda Olson, so moved 2-0.
Meeting adjourned at 6:20 p.m.
9. Review existing policy GDBD: Support Staff Leaves and Absences
10. Review existing policy ACAD: Hazing and new policy ACAD: Hazing
Existing policy ACAD
New policy ACAD
11. Review existing policy GDBDA: Support Staff Sick Leave
12. Review existing policy GDBDC: Support Staff Personal Leave
13. Review existing policy GDBE: Staff Vacations and Holidays
14. Review existing policy GDJ: Support Staff Time Schedules
15. Review existing policy GDPC: Retirement Benefits for Central Office Staff