PERSONNEL COMMITTEE MEETING
September 11, 2017
Committee Members Present: Tom Connors, Kati McCormick, Deborah Towle
Board Members Present: Staci Fortunato, Edward Hastings, Pia Holmes, Kimberly Martin
Administrators Present: James Anastasio, Donna Madore, Kathy Casparius, Heather Gauthier, Kim Silsby
Others Present: Pat Hannigan, Susan Moore
1. Presentation - Staff Recruitment and Retention Plan
The committee heard from Pat Hannigan and Susan Moore chairs of the League of Innovative Schools Teacher Retention and Recruitment Subcommittee.
Ideas recommended by the subcommittee for recruitment:
1. Get the word out to teachers in and out of the community about all the great things being done
a) programs for students; b) support systems for staff, i.e. workshops, courses, professional
2. Promotional brochures
3. Participate in college fairs to promote our schools:
a) the amazing staff and the opportunity to work with the best of the best
b) health insurance benefits package, competitive salaries
c) course reimbursement
d) great facilities
4. Video about Cony and the district showing what actually happens here
5. Working with student teachers
Ideas recommended for retention:
1. Paying for recertification
2. Streamlining probationary portfolios
3. Web2School training
4. Barbeque for new teachers
5. Creating an atmosphere of positivity
6. Supportive mentors
7. Informal mentors for day-to-day things
8. Who to go to list
9. Handbooks and manuals for everything that needs to be done
Tom Connors asked if these things are being done at the elementary schools. Mr. Anastasio said the Innovative Schools process is specifically secondary schools but the ideas could be used as a model for elementary schools.
2. Further discussion on substitute teacher pay rates
Kathy Casparius provided the committee information on sub hours and costs and it was discussed. Motion by Deborah Towle to raise the sub rate of pay for every position currently paid below $10 per hour to $10 per hour with the exception of food service. Second by Kati McCormick, so moved 3-0.
3. Raise recommendation for non-represented employees
Mr. Anastasio recommended a 1½ percent increase for the positions of Director of Business, Director of Food Service and Assistant Superintendent. Recommendation for non-represented staff will be made at a later time pending support staff contract negotiations.
Motion by Deborah Towle to accept the 1 ½ percent increases for the positions of Director of Business, Director of Food Service and Assistant Superintendent. Second by Kati McCormick, so moved 3-0.
Motion by Kati McCormick to table items 4 and 5. Second by Deborah Towle, so moved 3-0.
4. Functional Job Analysis
5. Exit Interviews
6. Job Descriptions
A. Music District Coordinator
B. Art District Coordinator
C. Wellness District Coordinator
Motion by Deborah Towle to approve all three job descriptions. Second by Kati McCormick, so moved 3-0.
Meeting adjourned at 6:30 p.m.